Wittman Tailwind

Flying around in a W8

Look carefully and you can see how the two bottom panels fit into the sides.

Bye bye, oil screen. Hello, oil filter.

As mentioned in previous posts, oil changes were not an easy task on my Tailwind mainly because of the removal, inspection, and reinstallation of the oil screen. I'll spare the details, but trust me when I say it was a PITA!

I've installed an Airwolf Remo...

This is super simple. The screen is soldered to the threaded cap. Once you've removed it from the engine, simply heat up the solder with a blowtorch and work it free. I found this easiest done by holding it inverted in a drill, then slowly spinning it as the torch was heating it up. Eventually gravi...

I designed the oil access door in SolidWorks. Using the large, flat piece of material that was cut out of the bottom of the cowl, I asked my buddy at work to lasercut the part out for me. It turned out really nice. This access opening will be 1-inch wider and 1-inch taller than the opening in the...

The cowl is mounted, but it's a long way from finished. The next task is to work on the air intake section of the lower cowl. The previous cowl had a snorkel-type system which required fiberglassing skills that I don't have. Furthermore, by installing a C-150 air filter I'm gonna have to build the l...

The new exhaust system consists of four individual pipes, each between 28-32" long which means they definitely need support at both ends. Using some 1/8" all-thread and some 16-gauge (1/16") chromoly scrap from work, I fashioned up some hangers that provide some spring/shock-absorption to the exit e...