Wittman Tailwind

Maintenance

Last fall, my new exhaust had an issue whereby one of the pipes cracked and completely separated a few inches from the engine block. Rather than weld it back together, I opted to come up with a new design. All four exhaust pipes were removed a rebuilt with ball joints. As of now, I've put almost...

It turns out the support brackets for my exhaust pipes were a little too rigid. I thought the hangers would provide enough shock absorbency, but I guess not because one of the pipes cracked and completely separated from the stack about three inches from the engine. I was fortunate though because...

The intake snouts on the new cowl were significantly bigger than the previous cowl because it was made to enclose an O-300, O-320, or O-360 engine typically found in the W10 Tailwind and not the O-200 in my W8. I used silicone baffle material to tunnel the air into the plenum, but it didn't work and...

Unless I've forgotten something, tail number decals should be all that remain in order to go flying (aside from log book entries). I have no intention of flying internationally nor in excess of 180 knots so the tail number is not required to have 12-inch tall characters like the previous paint schem...

This part has been a long time coming. I started this rebuild project on January 21, over ten months ago. Ten looong months and I don't know how many hours. To see what my Tailwind looks like now compared to how it looked the previous six years I've owned it is something I'm very proud of. I remembe...

A new propeller has been on my list of upgrades for a long time and after a lot of research and a fair bit of input from the Tailwind Group, I decided to go with a Whirlwind ground adjustable. They have a model which is made specifically for the Continental O-200. Some of the others I considered wer...