Wittman Tailwind

Flying around in a W8

Last fall, my new exhaust had an issue whereby one of the pipes cracked and completely separated a few inches from the engine block. Rather than weld it back together, I opted to come up with a new design. All four exhaust pipes were removed a rebuilt with ball joints. As of now, I've put almost...

I received a letter in the mail from the EAA today, specifically an open invitation to attend Airventure 2019 in Oshkosh, WI. As it turns out, N11018 was at Oshkosh #1 in 1970. The EAA tracked down all the N-numbers that had attended that event and invited us back for a 50-year reunion! I've never b...

It turns out the support brackets for my exhaust pipes were a little too rigid. I thought the hangers would provide enough shock absorbency, but I guess not because one of the pipes cracked and completely separated from the stack about three inches from the engine. I was fortunate though because...

The intake snouts on the new cowl were significantly bigger than the previous cowl because it was made to enclose an O-300, O-320, or O-360 engine typically found in the W10 Tailwind and not the O-200 in my W8. I used silicone baffle material to tunnel the air into the plenum, but it didn't work and...

Today was the day. Tail number applied. Log books signed. Fluids and systems checked. Run-up passed. Three touch and goes without incident. This was the first time NX11018 has flown since July 2, 2016, just shy of one and a half years ago. What an amazing experience to finally fly after all the work...