Wittman Tailwind

Flying around in a W8

I intend to reuse the four existing cowl mount points on the fuselage.

I started by making the new mounting hardware: a 1.25" 1/4-28 bolt welded to a 1" washer.

Now that the new exhaust is installed I can get to work on a new heat muff that hopefully works (unlike my first one). I started out with a piece Dakota Cub PA-18 Leading Edge from a Super Cub that ground looped on take-off earlier this spring. The pilot and plane were okay, but one of the wings w...

A new exhaust system wasn't required for my Continental O-200, but one thing that my airplane needs is some cabin heat. Unfortunately, the old exhaust wasn't fashioned in a way that (easily) allowed for a heat muff. I did make a heat muff many years ago, but it was too small and didn't have enough...

A local gentleman in a neighboring town is building a Wittman Tailwind W-10. He bought a fiberglass cowl and was unhappy with it so he told me if I can make it work for my W8, then I can have it.

Perhaps this will be the world's first attempt to fit a W-10 cowl onto a W8!

To phrase this simply,...

This is the part I've been waiting for. These doors have been one of the most exciting parts of this entire rebuild. I've looked forward to having something like these on my Tailwind for many years. I can't guess the number of hours in the past that I spent googling things like "patroller doors" and...

The wings are painted and are they ever shiny!